Monday, October 22, 2012

Boys and their sausages (trying to keep this PG12)


My husband has always wanted his sausage to be longer and tastier than any others.  Well, this weekend was his moment to man-up.  Show me what your beef is made of Baby! He finally brought out the sausage maker I bought him 2 birthdays ago.

Because most store-bought sausages have such a high fat content (and us being such health nuts), he’s always wanted to try and make leaner sausages.  Per 1 ½ pounds of meat, most recipes add ½ a pound to 1 pound of pork fat.  Yuck! 

He was a man with a mission this weekend.  I was only the photographer as he didn’t want me to touch his sausage…. I’ve never!

So, to start, he marinated the meat and herbs.  Once the meat was ready, in it went into the meat grinder.







This shot is from the other side.



Next he had to put all the ground-up meat back in the grinder to push it into the casing.
                                           (I have no comment about this photo but know I’d love to!)
It’s a tricky thing to fill the casing evenly through a very long sausage without breaking it.  See my honey’s long sausage.




Next he had to make them into individual sausages by twisting them at every 5 inch intervals.









Here’s the finished product and a very happy honey.

2 comments:

specialagentnancy said...

Funny I just had sausage this weekend. Spicy!

So next question, grill or BBQ?

Leslie said...

Love spicy but Holming doesn't. We grilled them.