Sunday, November 4, 2012

New Sewing Project


With my life being a bit busy and complicated I had lost my inspiration in some of my hobbies, one being my sewing.  So, to find my sewing “mo-jo” again, I enrolled myself into a sewing class that meets one night a week.  Two weeks ago I made a cute little top that uses elastic thread to gathered at the waist and neckline.
Took most of the first class un-picking the elastic thread from my top because I couldn't get the darn tension right.  Deep sigh...........


My next project was to make a skirt with an elastic waist and a flared ruffle out of the material below.  Cute for Spring/Summer!
   

In class (photos not taken), I pieced the skirt together and put in the elastic waist.  I was sent home (at 9:45pm) with marching orders/homework to “stay stitch” the ruffle to the skirt and gather it evenly.  I was like, right?!?  WHAT?  It always sounds so easy when the instructor is standing right next to you.
In the photo below you’ll see that I’ve pulled the top threads to the basted/stay stitched rows to gather the ruffle.



Once my ruffle was evenly distributed to the bottom edge of the skirt, I pinned it in place so that I could sew it together.  As you can see by the next photo, I had a little assistant.

This is the ruffle sewn on.  The thread from the stay-stitch just needs to be removed.



Next I had to overlock the seam, which keeps the fabric from fraying.  On a side note, I’ve owned my very own overlocker since Feb 2011 and this is the first time I’ve used it.  Teehee…  It was very exciting!



And finally I get to model my new skirt.  Ta-da!

Since I had a bit of free time this weekend, I also made this grey and brown striped tunic top to wear with jeans.  Yay!

What's next?  Well, I've had pajama pants cut out for Holming for over a year.  Maybe I need to put thread to those pants..... and, I'm sure Alex is waiting for a little something too.



No comments: